Whilst there is a number of sophisticated free open source raster analysis packages available, including GRASS, White Box and ILWIS (Steiniger and Bocher 2009, Neteler, Bowman et al. 2012). SAGA GIS (Conrad, Bechtel et al. 2015) was chosen as the focus of training as it:
- Provides the easiest, onestep, process for Landsat data visualisation.
- has a simple, onestep, process for sophisticated hydrological and terrain modelling
- is a compact package that does not require installation and is thus is easy to share
- has an easy to comprehend interface similar to other GIS packages
- works seamlessly with all standard GIS data formats and has an active development team responsive to user suggestions for processing tools and bug fixes